Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

I love my uncle onesie

I have been wanting to try cutting fabric with the Cricut/cuttlebug for awhile now. But, it's one of those things, I never got around to doing. I usually have to have an actual reason to make something to try a new technique. Well, when a friend mentioned that her brother couldn't find anything to buy his niece that says "I love my uncle", I figured, what better time than now.

This project turned out to be much trickier than I thought. Mostly because cutting letters is too small with the Cricut. I recommend only using the Cricut to cut large/bold items that don't have a lot of curves to them. If someone else has tried this and can recommend a better setting, please let me know! It also could have been the fabric I was using. I plan on trying different fabrics/shapes to get a better idea of what works and what doesn't.

So, I ended up instead using my Cuttlebug. I have a Sizzix alphabet set and the size just happened to be perfect for a onesie. I still cut the heart out with my Cricut though. Did you know you can use Sizzix dies in the Cuttlebug? No need for multiple machines and you have more variety. :)

I used a polka dot fabric that way it was mostly all pink, but had hints of brown and green in it.

Here's a close up of the lettering.

I think it turned out super cute and I hope that she loves it. I used wonder under to adhere the cuts. One thing that I noticed though, don't use the wonder under on extra fabric if you don't plan on using it anytime soon. It loses it's stickiness and won't be able to be adhered to fabric later.

6 comments:

  1. awww this is sooo adorable!!!
    hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I just ran across your blog whole looking for ways to cut fabric with a cricut. From other websites it seems to me that the trick is a sticky mat and a sharp blade. Apparently if you use the same blade to cut fabric as you do on paper it doesn't work well because paper dulls the blade. I hope that helps! love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute blog! Thinking of looking into a cricut or a cuttlebug to cut swirly designs. If you get a chance, please stop by my blog.

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik